Sunday, May 8, 2011

Control

Hey Guys,

So something I am learning about myself is that I like to be in control of my situation. Today I tried something new, I went bungee jumping which was a whole new experience for me. I have never done something like that before because I was always too scared of heights, or of falling but basically what it came down too was not having control of my situation. There is something amazing that comes with bungee jumping off a bridge. Those two or three seconds where you have absolutely no control is something that I have never experienced before. It was after that I realized I love to have control. Which I believe is normal for our culture. We are a culture that loves to always be in control. I am starting to see that because I like to have control there are difference aspects of my life that get affected by it, weather it be with my parents, with my job, or on a sports team I like to have control of the team and situation at hand.

But what about losing control? In a healthy way. We are usually taught (or maybe that is just me) that we need to have control of our situation or else we are weak or not a strong leader. But I beg to differ with this idea, we need to give up some control. I, myself tend to push myself and try to take control of situations that do not require control. But there is some beauty and benefits to sometimes being a follower instead of constantly controlling the situation. After today I am starting to realized there are area's of my life that I need to give control up weather it be with sports, or with work you do not always have to be in control. As times goes on and as I learn a few lessons here and there, sometimes it would be nicer to learn from other people once and a while. This brings me to my main point which is this, in order to be a leader you must learn to follow and not always take control. I believe that is a common misconception that in order to lead you must have control.

I am not calling myself a great leader but on the flip side I believe I have a ton to learn before I will ever become a good leader. I have spent so much time believe that if you are in control it means you are a leader, therefore all you need to do is be in control right? Well that is very faulty logic. As time goes on I have learned that sometimes leading means following first, understanding how something works and not always taking control. I think I am repeating myself at this point so ill stop writing but that is what I wanted to talk about is save yourself a headache and let someone else take control!

Goodbye for now,
Christian Sawka

No comments:

Post a Comment