Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Apathy verse Boredom

Apathy is described as "absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement. OR lack of interest in or concern for things that others find moving or exciting."

Boredom is described as "uninterested because of frequent exposure or indulgence"
So what is the difference? Often times when I was going through depression they describe a symptom of depression as being apathetic towards the world but now getting over depression I find that I am 'bored'. Is there actually a difference between being bored and being apathetic? A great movie I watch a little while back was this movie called The Trotsky. There was this great scene where Leon was talking to his principal and they have this debate as to whether today the youth and society is apathetic or bored. Leon sits there and tells his principal that today we are bored while the principal argues that we are apathetic. It made me think especially while I was going through this depression whether I am and whether this society is bored or apathetic.
When I was going through my depression everyday I was 100% apathetic towards like. I would wake up and go back to bed and the only thing that would go through my mind was is it even worth waking up to do anything. I would miss my 9:25am class and think not like its worth the time. I would miss my 11:40pm class because I would think to myself it is going to be boring a waste of time and like nothing actually would happened. It is a scary feeling when you get to that point where you are completely apathetic towards the entire world. In all honesty you sit there think what is the point of even getting out of bed? Whats the point of going outside? What is the point of anything? I hope and pray that no one reading gets to that same point as I did.
Back to my my main idea which is are we bored or apathetic? I hope we are just bored in this society that we are just uninterested because of frequent exposure or indulgence. I really believe we are just bored of our lives and bored of everything that goes on. We are ALWAYS looking for something new to interest us then it just gets over used and then we move on. It is sad however that we sit around waiting for something to interest us. Boredom is not something to be fearful of but apathy is. If you realize you are apathetic be fearful because apathy is one of the scariest things I have ever gone through in my life. Depression is something scary feeling down but the constant feeling of apathy is and will forever be the scariest. Think to yourself are you bored? Are you apathetic? If either of these you hesitate is saying no then start to think what you can do to change that.
Goodbye for now,

Christian Sawka

*If your reading these feel free to comment and follow*


No comments:

Post a Comment