Thursday, June 28, 2012

Jump off a Bridge

This blog was published at (http://www.jesusbigger.ca/1/post/2012/06/go-jump-off-a-bridge.html) go check it out!

A while back I tried bungee jumping.

Now, for some of you that does not seem like a big deal, but for a guy who is terrified of heights, bungee jumping is a bigger deal. I'm scared of heights and I'm scared of falling (same same but different), but basically what it all comes down too is, I'm scared of not being in control.

There is amazing clarity that comes with jumping off a bridge. In those two or three seconds where you are absolutely helpless and are free-falling with complete hope in a plastic cord to save your life you can really come to grips with truth. And in those moments I realized I love to be in control.

I'm not alone. We are a culture that loves to be in charge, make our own decisions and dictate the circumstances of our lives. And I'm right there with you: whether it is with my summer job, my future calling in life, my where I am living or any single thing I am involved with—I want to be control.

I've been taught my whole life that the answer to any problem is to take the reigns and deal with it, 'If you want something done right, do it yourself', right? In these last weeks I have seen all my plans fall through, I am still painting (houses), living at home and have no idea where God is taking me. Suddenly I am in a place where I have been reminded of who is actually in charge of my life.

There is a proverb in the Bible that says, “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” This is where I find my peace. Knowing that the God of the Bible is directing my path allows me to rest and trust that I do not need to stress about every detail of my life and that ultimately He will lead me. I believe He's smarter than I am, he's stronger than I am, and that He loves me. I believe I can trust him.

Here's the thing, I constantly forget that God is in control of my life; my present and my future. There's that cliché statement that I have heard, 'if you want God to laugh show him your plans'.

I Stress. Over-think. Process. Plan. Dream. Predict. Wish. About my life and future. But God's got this and maybe I need to work a little harder at reminding myself of who's actually in control. Because what it comes down to is this other great proverb...“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”  (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I spend the majority of my time leaning on my own understanding and not acknowledging God; trying to be in control. But it those times that I remember that God is in control that I find a great peace and I can jump off the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment