Monday, April 4, 2011

Finishing Strong

Hey Guys,

Something my dad has always told me and has beaten into my head, time after time, after time, after time. I think he has told me anytime I have ever come to the end of something in my life. Whether it be sports, school or anything that had a dead line. Every year I am getting a little bit better at finishing stronger then I started. But there is a lot of truth in the mentality. Something I have noticed in my life and what I have noticed in the people around me is that we and I tend to phase our near the end and not FULLY end what was agreed upon. Something that will come up a lot in our lives is long and some what meaningless tasks. Or at least they will feel meaningless. As I am rounding out the semester I am starting to get these feelings like my classes are useless. When the end starts to come it when you usually start to loose all motivation as though there is nothing really to push on towards. The thing we forget is that there is always something worth finishing strong for. It could be as shallow as getting good grades or as I just read as tough as trying to stay alive through cancer. 

When I started this blog I was thinking on a small scale talking about finishing strong in school  and what that means. But I am starting to believe there is a lot more truth in finishing strong then to just finishing strong in school. My dad always tells me it this way, you have started strong, you have done well so far, now end even better. He always tells me this in December and in April when school starts to end. I am starting to wonder will he tell me the same thing when I start working? When a eventually get my own family? What will the age-old advice be then? Hopefully it will be the same thing just maybe not the ending part. But rather this, you have had a good start but now is the time to keep going, and then end strong. 

Way to often in my life I have either not started well, not done the work during the time but especially not ended well. I have been learning a lot about speeches lately and it has gotten me to think about this type of analogy. Life is like a speech it first begins with this great idea. Whether that be a focus, a goal or an objective we all start with an idea on where we want to grow. Like life and like a speech the next main part is developing that idea, it is not letting that idea die in the middle. Often in a speech and in life the idea loses its support in the middle whether something happens or a distraction arise we stop support that idea. Like in life we go through it and usually something happens along the way that will stop us from achieving our original goal. Lastly and the toughest thing in life and a speech is how do you end it. I am not going to pretend like I know what I am talking about for a conclusion. The only thing I know is what a man called Forest Gibs told me which was 'it is what you pass on'. 

I do not know if that makes any sense at all, or if that analogy helps in anyway. But here is the summary, as things are winding down, do not forget to finish strong. A whole lot of time can be lost my simply losing focus right near the end. The same goes for life, even though if seems like there are meaningless tasks right now thing about your original goal and how they help you get there. Above all never forget to continue to develop that goal/idea your whole life to become who you want to be.

Goodbye for now,
Christian Sawka

No comments:

Post a Comment