Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Getting a Reputation

Hey Guys,

This is something I have been learning about a fair amount lately is how you get a reputation. It is probably one of the easiest things to get in the world. It can be as simple as a one time thing or a complex as a series of events or actions that cause you to gain a reputation. The craziest thing about a reputation is how long it sticks with you and you can never seem to shake it. A great saying is this:
A reputation for a thousand years may depend upon the conduct of a single moment.
- Ernest Bramah
This still rings true today and will probably ring true for the rest of our lives. Most of the reputations I have of people and the reputations I have seen of others have been created by a singular event. Whether it be an act of annoyance, losing your temper or being competitive these acts create a reputation for you. When I look at my own reputation I would like to believe it is a reputation of good but I would be a idiot to believe that. 
It is a sign that your reputation is small and sinking if your own tongue must praise you.
- Matthew Hale
That will ring true also. I am not going to try and say that my reputation was created based upon nothing which is unfortunate. I am going to be writing on if it is even possible to change a reputation. I dream it is because I do not want my reputation to be the same as it was 2 years ago, a year ago or even 6 months ago. I had a good talk with a smart guy a few days ago who told me that the only way to change a reputation or how people view you is not through words, but through actions. I told him I was trying and he responded saying 'that is good' but that is still not enough and not enough people are seeing. 


Back to the point which is getting a reputation. It is an extremely easy thing to do, it only takes a matter of one action to gain a reputation that is going to stick with you for a long time. I worry sometimes that what I write on this blog will create a reputation for me, not just a reputation with people who know me already but for anyone who is reading this. To anyone who has never met me before in life, hi! 


My encouragement and challenge for anyone reading this is think about your reputation, think about the actions you are taking and what that means for your reputation. Think as you are getting a job, meeting knew people, what your first impression is going to be and what reputation will you build. My dad always tells me you can only make a first impression once. He is right. You can only make the first impression once and that first impression will last with you as a reputation, and it takes a long time to change a reputation. So make sure you make the first one count because you do not want to have to try and change you reputation. Do it right the first time.


Goodbye for now,
Christian Sawka

No comments:

Post a Comment