Sunday, January 9, 2011

Making a Difference

Last night after having a great talk with my roommate I went on a walk around my campus and went to my 'spot' on campus where I can be alone to think about everything and process what it going through my head. So as I sat there I thought about what is it actually means to make a difference in someones life. In my opinion there is three different types of making a difference. There is intentionally making a difference, unintentionally making a difference and completely randomly making a difference. Making a difference is something I think regardless of if we say so or not is something that we want to do. There is something about making a difference in someone elses life that really just lifts up your day and your life knowing that you have helped someone else feel just a little bit better.

Intentionally making a difference, this is probably the one that occurs the most which is where you actually go out with good intentions or not and make a difference in someones life. This one is probably the one that makes the you feel the best simply because you know you have made a difference and get to hear about it. However something that goes on usually is that you start to actively seek how you can make a difference in peoples life. This is most of the time a great thing but can be consuming after a while. Think for a second before continuing how much time and effort do you invest into making a difference in peoples life?


For certain times in my life there have been people who have constantly made an influence in my life. We all have our role models that have made a major difference in our life and those friends who intentionally make a difference in your life.

Unintentionally making a difference, this is the one that gets to me probably the most is this idea of not knowing if you are making a difference in anyone’s life. This is the one that is the hardest because it is a matter of trying to put yourself out there, talk to people but leave it at that. Shocking not everyone in this world is that extroverted as me or as other people and this is where it gets interesting because you do not know if you are making a difference in peoples life or not.

Completely random difference, this is the craziest one is when you make a difference in someones life and do not hear about it until years afters, months later or never hear about it. I am sure you can think back in your life and think of a time where someone made a difference in your life and they will NEVER know they changed your life.

On October 23rd of 2010 someone made a major difference in my life and would have never known about it until I forgave myself for my past.

This post is a little bit more of a reflective post as I am still working through it in my own head and writing down usually clears my thoughts but sadly there are still a ton of ideas I am trying to figure out. I leave you with this idea what does it actually mean to make a difference in someones life? What does it actually mean to constantly make an intentional difference on someones life? This is what I am struggling to understand or figure out what does it look like to make a difference in someones life over and over and over. The simple answer is talking to them about there life, making sure they are doing alright, helping them with the problems..... but is that really the answer or is it so much more then that. I try to intentionally make a difference in peoples lives but I am only human, I make mistakes everyday and all I can ask for is forgiveness. Do the best I can and live life to the fullest.

Goodbye for now,
Christian Sawka

No comments:

Post a Comment